I have always had a disproportionate interest in beer. Then the time came when life events gave just enough time to allow all the talk of running a brewery to come to life.
- 1987 - I started brewing when I was at Swansea University where I was studying marine biology - at least the microbiological units introduced me to yeast!
- 1990 - Whilst paying off the university debt, working as a farmer, I began to experiment with full mash brewing and quality ingredients.
- 1993 to 1999 - Work took me to Yankari National Park, Nigeria after which I spent four years on and off researching for a book all about the traditional alcoholic drinks of Africa - more of that here...
- 2000 - Forced myself back to a settled life in UK, principally working for the Soil Association (promoting organic food and farming, and in particular, local food and drink). Got back to brewing with a vengance...
- 2002 - Moved to Stroud (shortly before arrival of my first daugter) drawn through our involvement in establishing Stroud Community Agriculture. I also started planning for the brewery.
- 2005 - Attended a short course at the University of Sunderland, Brewlab - An introduction to commercial brewing
- 2006 - Started working as a freelancer supporting local food and social enterprises, and launched Stroud Brewery!